THE GAME: Texas vs. Oklahoma
There are a handful of sporting events that I would love to see live. The Masters, UNC vs. Duke basketball, the Midnight Sun Game.
And I've long wanted to watch The Red River Shootout: Texas vs. Oklahoma, at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas during the Texas State Fair.
(Years ago, they started calling it the Red River Showdown, or Rivalry, instead of Shootout... but I like Shootout more.)
One day I'll make it there. But not this year.
NOTES ON THE FOOD:
- I used to make biscuits from scratch. They weren't any better than the kind you can buy in a tube at the store. Maybe your recipe is better than mine, though.
- Same with the gravy mix.
- The sausage, on the other hand, has to be of the highest quality. My local butcher carefully grinds their own sausage every day. I've never once found a chunk of tough fat in it.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- I've been to Texas about ten times and I've never had anything but crappy weather. Yet every time I watched a UT football game, it looks perfect out.
- What an ugly first quarter. UT intercepted OU twice but only managed 3 points?
- The game definitely got exciting after that, but I never really thought OU was going to lose. It was a typical Oklahoma game under Stoops - lots of mistakes, but doing just enough to beat an inferior opponent.