THE GAME: Washington vs. Colorado
It's a strange weekend of college football. Tomorrow, the Big Ten plays their championship game between Penn State and Wisconsin, even though Michigan and Ohio State are both ranked higher.
Tonight, Washington played Colorado for the PAC-12 championship, even though USC beat both of those teams and is playing better than all but a handful of teams in the country.
But it's still college football, so I watched intently.
I had decided to make bison burgers for dinner, not even thinking about the fact that Colorado's mascot is a buffalo.
Ground bison is lower in calories than ground beef, much lower in fat, and higher in minerals and protein. And it tastes great. (For those of you who care about such things, bison are almost always free-range and grass-fed, which is most likely healthier for you and unquestionably better for the environment.)
NOTES ON THE FOOD:
- I picked up a one-pound package of bison from Whole Foods.
- I also got a jar of Bubbie's bread & butter pickles. I don't think I've ever tried those before and I don't know why I decided to purchase them... but they are fantastic. Some of the best I have ever had.
- I grilled some chopped onions in my cast iron pan for about fifteen minutes, and then smashed three slider-sized bison patties down onto them.
- Williams-Sonoma's Bloody Mary Ketchup is aggressively-flavored, tasting eerily like a bloody mary. It's a bit much when used alone (as, say, an accompaniment to fries) but when combined with other ingredients, it's delicious.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- The game could be summed up by one play in the third quarter: Jake Browning was under pressure and trying to throw the ball away... and a Washington receiver made a leaping catch to grab the ball and take it in for a touchdown. Some nights, everything goes your way.
- That UW offensive line was fun to watch tonight.
- The Pick Six at the start of the second half was the nail in the coffin for Colorado.
- The interception 30 seconds later didn't help, either.
- I think we can all agree UW vs. USC would have been a better game.
- It will be tough for the playoff committee to keep a one-loss, PAC-12 champion Huskies out of the playoff... but I won't be the least bit surprised if they find a way to do it.