THE GAME: Cowboys vs Lions
I enjoy anachronistic words. Filling station, service porch, picture show, parlor, britches, wastepaper basket.
My Midwestern grandmother called her sofa the "davenport" until the week she died and it never failed to make me smile.
My other grandmother - also from the Midwest, though much less overtly - referred to any store less formal than Nordstrom as "the five-and-dime."
As for myself, I've always enjoyed the phrase icebox. I mean, I never actually use it, but still.
What would you rather do on a hot summer night: pull another beer out of the icebox, or get another beer from the fridge?
Okay, now that I think about it, I guess it doesn't really matter. But I still like the word, so I'm using it here.
There were lots of leftovers from Christmas Day, so I used as many as I could to make a thin-crust pizza last night for the Monday Night Football game.
- After everything I ate on Christmas Day, I did not want a thick, doughy crust, so I used a tortilla as the base.
- Leftover potato sausage from breakfast.
- And those portobello-shallot meatballs from lunch.
- Originally the plan had been to make meatball sandwiches for lunch before I went with the burrito, so there was a garlic & basil pasta sauce; I used that as the base.
- A brick of congealed cheese fondue sat in the
fridgeicebox, left over from Christmas Eve dinner. I heated it up and drizzled it over the pizza before baking the whole thing in the oven for 15 minutes.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- If you told me Jon Gruden was drunk tonight or that was actually Frank Calliendo doing his Gruden impression, I would not have any trouble believing either of those things.
- Did you see the movie Deja Vu? Scientists discover a time window that allows them to look four days into the past. I wonder if that's what it feels like when Emmitt Smith watched Ezekiel Elliott ramble 55 yards for a touchdown; like he was staring into a mirror from 25 years ago. It's remarkable how much Elliot looks like Smith on certain runs.
- That Dez Bryant catch with one minute left in the first half was freaking cool.
- I wasn't going to draw conclusions from this game if Detroit won. Dallas had already locked up the NFC East and homefield advantage in the playoffs. The Lions were trying to win their first division title since 1993. I figured the Lions would give them a great game.
- For Dallas to just run all over Detroit. Damn, I was impressed.
- I'm really looking forward to the playoffs.