THE GAME: Washington vs Alabama
I'll say it up front: I picked Washington to beat Alabama. I know Alabama has been discussed as possibly being one of the best teams of all time. I know that not a single media personality - at least none of which I am aware - picked Washington to win.
I'm not saying I was sure of it. I'm not even saying I was confident. What I did feel, however, is that UW had the weapons to match up with Alabama better than anyone the Tide has faced all season.
NOTES ON THE FOOD:
- One of my best friends tries to eat gluten free, so I volunteered to make a gluten-free version of boneless wings. Trader Joe's GF chicken nuggets are perfect for such a meal.
- I was at Ralph's one day in 2015 and noticed a Kroger-brand Jamaican Jerk wing sauce was on clearance for 87 cents. It turned out to be fantastic so, on the chance that the clearance meant the item was disappearing from the shelves, I went back the next day and bought every bottle they had - about 10 in total. I'm down to my last one.
- The chicken cooks in the oven in about 25 minutes and then I tossed it with the jerk sauce for myself; my friend requested buffalo and plain.
- Bob's Big Boy's blue cheese dressing always makes a good dip. You know, now that I think about it, I haven't eaten at a Bob's in almost 7 years. I should soon.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- I'm not sure I've ever heard a "neutral site" crowd more in favor of one team. If this game were played in Bryant-Denny stadium, would it sound any different?
- I know Nick Saban always appears to be in pain on the sidelines, but that first scoring drive by UW might be the most anguished I've ever seen him.
- Also, Nick Saban and Bill Belichick are reported to be very close friends. What do you think it's like when those two get together? It's gotta be like Statler and Waldorf from The Muppets, right?
- That UW turnover near the end of the first quarter felt like it was going to be much bigger, but UA had a bad penalty and only got a field goal out of it.
- After the first five minutes, I thought we were in for an incredibly exciting first half. I was incorrect. It became a battle of field position and punting.
- Well, until UW turned it over once again on a Pick 6. They don't have enough margin for error to lose the turnover battle and still win this game.
- I don't know what was going on with UW in the second half. They certainly seemed scared to try for the big play. And they got run all over by Alabama.
- So, I was quite wrong. Even if UW hadn't turned it over twice, Alabama wins that game 9 times out of 10. Their talent is just on a whole different level.