THE GAME: Villanova vs Butler
The #1 team in the country, Villanova, at #18 Butler... in the arena where they filmed Hoosiers? How could I pass that up?
NOTES ON THE FOOD:
- I don't know about you, but I ate and drank way too much over the holidays. This month... er, let's make that this week... I will be eating a little healthier. So instead of fried chicken, or even a beef burger, I'm going with some lean ground turkey.
- My parents gave me a Fitbit for Christmas, which was a thoughtful gift. But I didn't want it. So I returned it to Amazon and bought a bunch of stuff that I do want, including lots of condiments. This black truffle mustard seemed like a good match for turkey.
- I mixed chopped parsley and onion with the ground turkey before I grilled it on cast iron.
- Ever since discovering Bubbies pickles, I have been experimenting with other kinds that I have never tried, including these from Proper's Pickle. None have been as good as Bubbies.
- I usually have a jar of pickled red onions in my fridge. They last for weeks (if not months) and liven up any meat dish.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- "I think you'll find it's the exact same measurements as our gym back in Hickory." Jesus, I could watch that scene 20 times in a row.
- When Hinkle Fieldhouse was built in 1927, it costs $750,000 - the equivalent of just over $10 million today. By comparison, when Nebraska opened their new arena a couple of years ago, the price tag was $180 million.
- Villanova has three senior starters. When was the last time a team won March Madness with three senior starters? I honestly have no idea. One of the UNC teams last decade? Michigan State in 2000? UCLA in 1995?
- Nova's best player, Josh Hart, was awful for the first 30 minutes but they still led almost the entire time. That's how you know you have a strong team.
- Nova couldn't overcome the all-around poor play and Butler was able to take the lead and hold on down the stretch.
- It was an exciting game, but I can't call it a great game. Villanova shot 37% (23% from three); Butler shot 45% (25% from three). That's not great basketball. That's cheap thrills.
- But still, the end of a close basketball game between ranked teams is a thrill, no matter how cheap it may be.
- I respect that the Butler students waited to make sure the game was completely over before they stormed the court. Unlike University of Oregon fans, Butler's understand the game of basketball.
- "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen."
- Damn, I'm gonna go watch Hoosiers now.