THE GAME: Wichita State vs Kentucky
In addition to those Guinness meatball sandwiches, there was also corned beef on St. Patrick's Day. Lots of corned beef. So I made some hash for a late breakfast and the Shockers-Wildcats game. (I picked Wichita State to upset the Cats, and I needed this game to salvage my bracket.)
NOTES ON THE FOOD:
- I diced a potato and soaked it in water for twenty minutes, then rinsed the cubes. As with making french fries, removing starch from the potatoes makes them crispier.
- I diced a bell pepper and roughly half a pound of corned beef. I didn't have dinner last night and I was hungry.
- I rarely use butter, preferring oil when I'm cooking. But as I mentioned, I hadn't eaten dinner... and I'd had several beers. Butter sounded good.
- It was the best hash I've ever made, especially when I drizzled a South Carolina-style mustard sauce over my second helping.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- Wichita State's center, Shaquille Morris, was named after Shaquille O'Neal. That's another one of those things that makes me feel old.
- Eight minutes into the game and the score is 6-6. Kentucky is shooting 25%; Wichita State is shooting 14%. Super exciting game here.
- Traveling, three-second violations, and some of the worst shooting I've ever seen... and Wichita State is only down by two at halftime.
- Wichita is the largest city in Kansas. Its population is almost 400,000. I had no idea that many people live there. I realize this has nothing to do with the game, but I honestly don't know what to write here. The teams are a combined 20-64. There are only so many ways I can write "this first half is really ugly."
- Both teams are playing a little better in the first ten minutes of the second half - although I'm not sure how they could have possibly played worse - and it's tied at 41. I imagine this is the kind of game Wichita State wants to play, to negate Kentucky's athleticism, but it just feels like at some point UK is going to take over.
- UK puts together a little run and goes up 7. There's still four minutes left but I would be surprised if Wichita can outscore UK by 8 in that little time.
- Wichita State actually had a shot to take the lead - but it was blocked. On a three-pointer.
- And then they had another three-point attempt to tie the game as time expired... and it was blocked again. Which pretty much sums up the game.
- Predictably, the announcers are rambling on about what a "gutsy" performance it was from Wichita State. THEY SHOT 38% FOR THE GAME. They committed eleven turnovers. Do these jackasses even watch the games they're calling?