THE GAME: Lakers vs Celtics
If I were to make a list of my five favorite things in the city of Los Angeles, the Lakers and a Philippe's turkey dip would unquestionably be there, perhaps surrounded by The Original Farmers Market, slippery shrimp at Yang Chow, and Griffith Park.
I found myself in downtown for a meeting this morning and figured I'd stop by Philippe's for lunch. Waiting in line, I remembered the Lakers and Celtics would be on TV. Why not get a sandwich for dinner, too?
NOTES ON THE FOOD:
- I've had the beef and pork, and they're delicious, too... but my favorite is the turkey. Outside of the smoked turkey sandwich at Gates BBQ in Kansas City, this is my favorite turkey sandwich in America.
- Double-dipped. Always double-dipped.
- I usually add a few drops of Philippe's blisteringly-hot mustard. I keep a jar of it in my fridge. I forgot that I had taken it to a friend's house a few weeks ago. Dammit.
- I'm not a big fan of sweet cole slaws; I prefer vinegar versions. In fact, this is probably the only sweet cole slaw that I love. And I do love it.
- I once took the father of a girlfriend of mine to Philippe's. He was a lover of sandwiches with a particular fondness for French dips. After polishing it off, he proclaimed it "possibly the best, certainly no worse than the second-best" French dip of his life. The woman is long gone from my life but the turkey dip remains. And that's the way I prefer it.
NOTES ON THE GAME:
- The Lakers are tied for the second-worst record in the NBA. There is no chance they are making the playoffs.They need to receive a high draft pick. There is no benefit to winning games at this point. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want them to beat the Celtics.
- The Celtics aren't nearly as unlikeable without Kevin Garnett's screaming and Paul Pierce's flopping, but those green jerseys are still disgusting.
- The Lakers are wearing their 80s throwback jerseys. Although the shorts are much longer than they were back then.
- D'Angelo starts out 4-4 for 9 points. I wonder if he's hearing all the chatter about the Lakers drafting Lonzo Ball.
- I just saw that Cleveland scored 135 points tonight with 25 three-pointers. Have I ever mentioned I'm not the biggest fan of what the NBA has become?
- The Lakers just made three passes all in the key to set up a dunk. I don't know if I've ever seen that before. Two passes, sure. But three?
- The Celtics are doing a good job of pushing the ball down the court. The Lakers might want to think about getting back on defense one of these quarters.
- Larry Nance made a great defensive play and then moronically dribbled the ball out of bounds off his own foot. Do you know what my friend Troy and I used to call it a decade ago when a player made a good play followed by an awful play? We called it a "Luke Walton." I'm not joking.
- Nick Young committed a turnover and was so embarrassed he threw the ball and received a technical. Exactly what you want when you're down 15.
- After scoring 9 points in the first couple of minutes, D'Angelo still has 9 points at the half. And three turnovers, two of which were terrible.
- The Celtics have 70 points at halftime. 70. I've seen some awful Lakers defensive "efforts" this season, but none worse than this.
- Fuck this. I'll check the score later, but I have no interest in watching any more of this game.